Saturday, June 16, 2012

SMT: A Year Later

Yep. Two blogs in one day. But that's because all I've done today is listen to sermons and watch 'Avatar: The Last Airbender'. But this one is one I need to do tonight, as short as it will be.

It's been a year since I began my journey of the 2012 Ecola Summer Ministry Team with Matt White, Katie White, Rhianna Moriarty, and Lisa Matz. It feels like just yesterday, yet it feels like a lifetime ago. All of the lives effected, all of the people I met, the ways I would never be the same.

It's been a tough year since leaving Ecola and SMT. If you know me at all or have read these blogs, you know that. It's been a journey into the corruption and mess that is the world, a far cry from the shelter that is "camp". Christian camp is a weeks worth of shelter and rejuvenation, not the real world in the least bit. You get to be under the influence of cool older people, who are mostly college age, and get to know your cabin mates. You get to trick yourself into thinking that you have a long term chance with the cute girl 3 rows up in chapel. You get to go to chapel 2 or 3 times a day, something taken for granted by most young people, but its the part of camp I miss the most. Just me and God. In the woods. Hangin' out. Being loved on by everyone around you. And the opportunity to worship the God of the universe in a beautiful place. I LOVE IT.

Being a counselor is one of the greatest experiences in life. But the experience you go through as an SMT member is the best. Literally. Those were the best 2 months of my life. I gained the support of 4 fantastic individuals and I miss them greatly. They really are some of the best friends I will ever have, and I can't wait to see them. The last time I saw Rhianna was at the Ecola camping trip in August. The last time I saw Matt and Katie was at the Chan's wedding in August. And the last time I saw Lisa was in May in Forest Grove, OR.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say with this blog. Maybe that I miss my SMT family. Maybe to be encouraging to this years teams who just headed out today. Maybe for my own satisfaction. Maybe because I'm still stuck on how much I miss last summer. But God has a plan for me. I'm not doing camps this summer for a reason. I pray that I can go back for upcoming summers in my life and do a camp or two, maybe even some of the camps that I did during SMT. Who knows? But God works wonders at summer camps. He gets to kids, kids who's lives will never be the same. I can't wait to be apart of that again. Until then, I follow His lead, unto the next stage of my incredibly small life. And it may be small, but I am made strong through my weakness. That's how God works. And I can't get over how incredible that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment