Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ecclesiastes 1:2- MEANINGLESS.

In Ecclesiastes 1:2, it says "'Meaningless! Meaningless!' says the Teacher. 'Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless!'"

Pretty uplifting huh?

Ya that's what I thought too. But now I think it's one of the most beautiful concepts that we could understand. If we can take this to heart and start living it, our lives will have true meaning. Let me explain.

This book was written by King Solomon, the wisest man to ever live. This book that he wrote was about how meaningless everything we know really is when we look at it from how big and great God is. The literal translation of "meaningless" is "empty, smoke, senseless". Essentially, its saying that everything that is not God is empty. And I have found that to be true.

In the last weeks, I have been so distracted. I've been distracted by movies, school, and not being in Oregon. And I've tried to fill the holes I've been feeling in my life with friends, movies, etc, but they just don't do it. And I've come to realize "what am I doing?" I've been trying to fill myself up and make myself feel better with worldly things (worldly being not God). God is the only thing that satisfies in this life. It's why every culture has deity worship of some form. It's why we try to fill our lives with material items, sex, and drugs. It's our quest to find importance. It's our quest to find meaning.

And it's only found in God.

When we think about this verse, it's easy to say "OK, ya. Everything is meaningless! God is better! Cool!" But it's when we get specific that the concept feels uncomfortable. So let's get specific. Let's start simple. Food is meaningless. That could make us feel a little uncomfortable, but we'd get over it quickly. OK, how about this: Our friends are meaningless. Ya, that stings a little more doesn't it? How about I just go on and you decide, ya?

OK, here goes:
Food is meaningless.
Friends are meaningless.
Movies are meaningless.
My health is meaningless.
Clothes are meaningless.
Looking good is meaningless.
Music is meaningless.
TV is meaningless.
Smallville is meaningless.
The Office is meaningless.
Comfort is meaningless.
Family is meaningless.
Star Wars is meaningless.
Cars are meaningless.
The beach is meaningless.
Ecola is meaningless.
Your future wife is meaningless.
Your past girlfriends are meaningless.
Your current girlfriend is meaningless.
Girls are meaningless.
Money is meaningless.
Having fun is meaningless.
Work is meaningless.
Advancing in life is meaningless.
Owning your own home is meaningless.
Having a career is meaningless.
Understanding film is meaningless.
High school is meaningless (which is true anyways).
College is meaningless.

It's all meaningless compared to Christ our Lord.

What are the idols getting in the way of your relationship with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment