Thursday, February 2, 2012

SMT, Part 9= Camp Elohim- The Grand Finale

It's been a little over 4 months since I began blogging about each camp I went to during my 8 week adventure on SMT. It's taken longer to cover each leg of the journey than I meant to, but then again, I'm sad that this is the last post in the series about our summer. Of course, I will mention my experiences in future posts, as it was 2 months of my life that profoundly changed me forever.

We left Oregon from Camp Morrow and made our way up to Rhianna's house once again to stay there over night before we headed up towards northwestern Montana. To be honest, I don't remember a lot from that weekend. We continued from there up to Troy, MT, which was the location of our final camp, Camp Elohim. It was a cute little camp, very rustic. I liked the staff well enough (though there was some tension at points for Matt and I, but it really doesn't matter now, so I won't get into it). The first night, I had one camper in my cabin even though the camp didn't start till the next day. From my conversation with him, I knew that the people in that state were in a different mind set than I, one of those city folk. But that was ok, because Matt and I got to sit with him and just talk about life, which would prove to have been needed later in the week.

The next day, campers arrived! It was a high school camp (a great way to end it all!). I had four campers: Ryan, Josh, Tyler, and Devin, four great guys! :) I remember having some great and deep discussions with them at night. All of them were already Christians, so once again, it was my job to help build them up in whatever way I could (which I pray that I did) That week felt so... in tune with God. I was so lead in what I talked about during cabin times and what and when to do and say things. It was such a great week for me spiritually. Now of course, since it was our last week, we were dead tired. And the camp started earlier each day than any of the previous, so it was painful getting up in the mornings, but once I did, the days were worth it. The activities were so great! Archery, shooting .22s, a long hike to a waterfall, and rafting... ahh it was great! And I loved the speaker, John Wallace. I got so much out of his teaching of Acts, a class I wish we had gotten more into at Ecola, but he really changed my perspectives and knowledge on that book! And I found out that his father founded Sonrise Church in Hillsboro, OR, a branch of which my family back home in Oregon now attends! Plus, I really loved their kids! Peter and Andrew were so awesome to hang out with when I had a little free time during the day :)
(Also, I still insist I saw a bear at campfire the last night. That was no deer or elk I saw!!!)

The last day of camp was so surreal. It didn't feel like it was supposed to be over yet, and yet I was ready, ya know? Soon the campers were gone and we were packing up the van for the last time. Man that was a weird feeling... SO we said our goodbyes, got one last camp picture as a group, and we headed out.

We took three days to get back to Cannon Beach. First we drove to Moscow, ID and stayed at a girl from Ecola's house, who's name I can not think of for the life of me... Anyways, it was a very pretty neighborhood and house. That night, a bunch of us went on a walk around town, and I had a fantastic and deep conversation with Katie, a conversation that, in my opinion, solidified our brother/sister-ship forever and ever. :) The next day, we drove from Moscow to Newberg, OR, where we stayed the night at Matt and Katie's aunt and uncle's house. And finally. The final leg back to Cannon Beach. We drove into Cannon Beach blaring "Take Me Home Country Roads, which made me cry (and still brings tears to my eyes today as I think about it). We drove to the beach and ran into the ocean. (the whole thing is on my Facebook page under videos) After that last hurrah as a group, we drove to Ecola and met up with the other group and the staff. We sat down and discussed the summer.

And then it was over.

Just like that.

After disbanded, I couldn't believe it. But it was truly over. We all went to Casa del Sol for Mexican food, to hang out as a group. I spent that night in my friend, Zach Ricks' room, but not before I walked on the beach that night, trying to get a grasp on what was next. The next morning, my family came for me, whom I had not seen since the memorial service for my grandma a month and a half before. I felt sick. I felt like crying the whole time. I only saw Rhianna that day because everyone else was out at the time I was leaving CB, but they knew I'd see them again in a few days.

The last time I saw Matt, Katie, Rhianna, and Lisa was at the Ecola Campout in Sisters, OR 4 days later. That was five and a half months ago. I miss those 4 so much. I miss them as much as I miss my own family. I love them so much. I pray and think about them all the time, and I can't wait to see them again.

I write this to all of you who read my blog and are interested in my life. But I also write this to my SMT family: the man and the three women who kept with me and put up with me for two months straight. It was one of the best summers of my life, and the rest  of the summers I experience will have a hard time beating it.

I love you guys.





No comments:

Post a Comment