Saturday, January 28, 2012

Death: Why Am I Here?

Death.

It's a mystery that has been pondered about ever since the beginning of mankind. Some believe that this there is this life and then nothing after you die. Others, such as myself, believe in heaven and hell as destinations for those who die. But no matter what you think, its a reality we all have to deal with. When you're young, you think that death can't touch you, that you're invincible. It's just the way it is, whether we mean to be like that or not. But we all have to confront it sooner or later.

I used to approach the concept of death very cavalierly. I didn't mean to, but I just couldn't wrap my head around the fragility of life. After a year of Bible school, I approached death in the way that 'when I go, I go. Whenever, the sooner the better', with almost no regard to this present physical life. But the events of the first of this month changed all that. I know I talked about totaling my truck in my last post, but I'm still learning things from it and sorting them out. I now realize that anyone and everyone around me could die at anytime, just like that. If God will's it to be their time, then that's His will. But that makes me all the more aware of the urgency of talking to them as often as possible and telling them that I love them as often as possible. For example, my Dad had a medical emergency this past week. Its more proof that things can spring on us out of nowhere with no warning whatsoever.

It has become my view that since God is in control, and ultimately His Will will be done, regardless of what we do, every person is on earth for a purpose. In my view, there are basically two types of people in the world: Those who have found God's amazing gift of His Son Jesus, and those God is still seeking. (I could say that, Biblically, there is a third party, those whom God has not predestined, but to conclude that would be to know the mind of God, which I surely do not.) I, as a follower of Christ, have been called to live out a life that reflects Christ to others. And because of that, and because I am still here on earth, means that I still have a purpose, that God's not done with me.

And it's true of you too: You are still here on earth because God wants you to be.

And I find that incredible. When I look at my life, where I've been, what I've done, what I'm doing, and knowing that I have many more imperfections in the future, I don't deserve this life. So many people say that "they have rights". No. We don't. When it comes down to it, we are being held by a tiny thread, a thread controlled by God. As the rapper Lecrae says "If we fought for our rights, we'd be in hell tonight." But we're not. God's not done with you!

I've been pondering these things a lot lately, wondering how they effect my life and such. But watching "The Grey" tonight (which I recommend heavily, but don't pay ANY attention to the marketing) reminded me of my fears. I used to not have fears, but God woke me up to my mortality, and I am incredibly thankful for that, even though I had to learn a hard way (even though it really wasn't that hard, since I wasn't physically hurt at all, just psychologically). That's what life is: going through various things that build us up and, hopefully and prayerfully, brings us closer to the God of this universe!

I pray, even though I use these blogs to talk things out with myself and to put them down in ink, that my posts drive people to to think, to ponder, and to take a look at God. I serve an amazing God. But you have to seek Him for yourself. Even though I try to describe God when I can, it's like trying to describe chocolate to someone who's never tasted it: You just have to taste it themselves to understand!

So I leave you with this:
Psalm 34:8- "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment