Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fear- Proverbs 1:7

Last night, I had the opportunity to go to an abandoned building in Grand Rapids and explore it. This 10 or so story building lies virtually empty, right in the middle of the cityscape, probably due to some economic trouble, as we've all observed over much of our nation. The building was big, empty, and abandoned. Now for those I was with, it was extremely unnerving to be in such a big place with all of those nooks and crannies, not knowing what loomed in the darkness. But for me, it didn't really bother me at all. And I don't know why. It should have, but it just didn't.

I stopped fearing things around the time of the summer after my sophomore year. I like to say that dealing with girl "stuff" at the time scared the fear right out of me, because it was right at that point, after a "potencial relationship scare", that I stopped fearing things for the most part, except heights of course. But ever since then, fearing the unknown just hasn't been a problem for me. That may be why I like horror movies now, because they are manufactured to create fear, a fear I haven't felt in 4 years. I miss that thrill of being freaked out of your mind, no matter how strange that may sound.

Which brings me to an interesting realization: Proverbs 1:7. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." The American way of thinking about this verse is very much dumbed down. We tend to explain the fear in this verse as being "reverence", but I just don't see that as the case. Whenever we read about prophets in the Old Testament seeing God, they fall flat on their faces because they are SCARED OUT OF THEIR MINDS!!! So often, we feel that we can go to God as a buddy and just ask Him for whatever we want. Which to a degree, is true! Because of what Jesus did for us on the cross, we have the right to come into the presence of God to be with Him, because He wants to be with us. But we have to remember that this is the God of the universe we are talking to! And He is HOLY HOLY HOLY (it's said three times each in Revelation for a reason). When we are told to fear God, that's exactly what we should be doing! We are unclean creatures coming to a perfect God for help. I am so thankful this Christmas season that I have a God that, even though I am a sinner and continue to sin everyday, over and over, He accepts me where I'm at and continually helps me through the days, grabbing my hand when I fall.

In Isaiah 41:10 and 13, it says: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.... For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." The God whom we should be scared out of our minds to even approach loves us so much, He promises to uphold us. I love that in those two verses, God says with His right hand He will hold our right hand, which is what a loving Father does for His children: helps them from behind so that they may stand strong, or at least learn to stand strong. He tells us not to fear, talking of fearing the world.

In Luke 12:4-5, Jesus says, "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after killing the body, has the power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear Him." Jesus tells us that it is God we should be fearing, not this world, for it is God who has the power to throw us out of His presence and into hell.

I am so thankful that He loved us so much, that He provided a way out of that eternal damnation. I am also thankful that one day, I get to experience the full on fear of being in the presence of a holy God that loves me, despite how unclean I have made myself in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment